www.modeler-forum.com

CONSIDEO - FORUM
It is currently Fri 29. Mar 2024, 14:23

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu 24. Oct 2013, 13:47 

Is there a way (or intention to implement such feature) to export a model in another format (e.g. excel) which is easier to process outside iModeler? The idea is to be able to have be able to compute some graph theoretical measures, or display the model in network mapping software, or do other types of calculations. Thanks in advance! Grégoire.

PostPosted: Thu 24. Oct 2013, 22:51 
Administrator

Oh, well, first of all we would like to know what features are missing that there is still some need to use other tools out there ;-)
But we have indeed just started to migrate some of the functionalities from our classic MODELER that offered a series of interfaces and exchange possibilities ranging from SQL, csv, OLAP (SAP BW, MS Dynamics), MS Access, MS Project, Projectron to Freemind and MindManager.
But currently there seems to be few demand for this and we admittedly prefer to offer the needed functionality with our tools.
So, what do you need?

Consideo

PostPosted: Thu 24. Oct 2013, 23:24 

Thanks a lot Kai!

what would be needed is something simple, like an "export influences" -and if possible import influences, if we want to set weights (actually we use an excel spreadsheet to better estimate the relative weights contributing to a factor):

from to weight delay label description
"cattle" "pasture" -0.3 5 "eat" "cattle eat pasture"

or even better: in matrix form (excel):
cattle pasture
cattle 0 -17
pasture 0 0

I know the import can be tricky if we do not use the exact same name for factors..

and it would be good to be able to export data series from qualitative models just like for quantitative models: even with qualitative it happens that some people want to have an idea of the trends...(there are no graphs or tables in qualitative modelling..)

I also realize that in the insight matrix you only export the x-factor...

PostPosted: Wed 30. Oct 2013, 20:50 
Administrator

Tricky indeed. We have this kind of import in the classic MODELER. I guess only two people in the world grasp it.

I'd rather promote the possibilities offered in the iMODELER hence the support of visual thinking. You are familiar with table view for the weightings you get when you click on the weighting figure?

You wondered why we only export the x-values from the insight matrix? Well, the y-values are the differences between the x-values of one factor so I see no reason to show them, do you?

We have considered a n to n matrix of all factors and their cross impacts and the feature to import and export it. But the many years of experiences with people who didn't understood the pitfalls (e.g. the definition of redundant indirect impacts or the division by 0 when you have inputs and want to calculate passive and active sums and the like) of this matrixes made us sure that this kind of visual thinking and weighting of only direct connections factor by factor leads to way better models.

Consideo